The Ancient Parish of SOUTH ANSTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOUTH ANSTON, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberties of St. Peter and Tickhill; 6 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 8 miles SE. of Rotherham, 9½ from Tickhill; 12 from Sheffield, 50 from York. Pop. including North Anston, 776, which being united form the township, usually denominated Anston with its Members. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £33. Patron, the Duke of Leeds."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- A transcription of the Plaques and the Monumental Inscriptions at St. George's Church, Woodsetts.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. James' Church, South Anston view 1.
- St. James' Church, South Anston view 2.
- The Methodist Church, South Anston.
- The Methodist Church, North Anston.
- The former Congregational Chapel, North Anston.
- St. George's Church, Woodsetts.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The Methodist Church, Woodsetts.
- Transcript of the entry for South Anston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Bishop's transcripts for South Anston Parish:
- The Baptism Registers for South Anston Parish:
- The Marriage Banns for South Anston Parish, 1914 to 1949.
- The Marriage Registers for South Anston Parish:
- The Burial Registers for South Anston Parish:
- The Baptism Registers for Woodsetts:
- The Marriage Registers for Woodsetts:
- The Burial Registers for Woodsetts:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of South Anston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Anston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK516837 (Lat/Lon: 53.347683, -1.226355), South Anston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- See "Cemeteries" above.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SK557832) Cotterhill Woods
- (SK540825) Lindrick Dale
- (SK544813) Turnerwood
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.