SOUTH ANSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SOUTH ANSTON, (and North Anston), a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from Worksop, containing 776 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the prebend of Laughton en le Morthen, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Chancellor in the Cathedral Church of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. James. Nails and starch are manufactured in this parish, and there is some business done in malt. Here is a small endowed school."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]