SOUTH ANSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SOUTH ANSTON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 12 miles to the E. of Sheffield. Rotherham is the post town. It comprises the townships of North Anston, South Anston, and Woodsetts. A rivulet separates North and South Anston, which stand on opposite hills, and the Chesterfield canal passes at a short distance. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £280, in the patronage of the archbishop The church is dedicated to St. James. The manufacture of nails and of starch is carried on here. There is a small endowed school."
"GILDINGWELLS, a township in the parish of South Anston, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Tickhill, and 5 N.W. of Worksop, its post town. The Shireoak station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway is about 3½ miles S.W. of the village. The extra parochial place of Waldingwells is within the limits of this township Here was formerly a nunnery of the Benedictine order. The land is fertile, and abounds in springs. Sir T. W. White, Bart., is lord of the manor."
"WOODSETTS, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of South Anston, S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Worksop, and 7 S. W. of Tickhill. This township, which is situated on the confines of Nottinghamshire, near the Chesterfield canal, includes the hamlet of Gilden Wells, and part of Lindrick Common. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a rent-charge of £100. The church is dedicated to St. George the Martyr."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013