Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of South Anston:

hide
Hide
Hide


"AUDZUS, (later Hodes House, now Hoades Farm) a farm-house in the township of Woodsetts with Gildingwells, and parish of South Anston, 5 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 6½ SE. of Tickhill."


"CLIFFE HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Anston with its members, and parish of South Anston, 4½ miles from Worksop (Notts.), 10 from Sheffield."


"CONDUIT HILL, a farm-house in the township of Anston with its Members, and parish of South Anston, 6½ miles SE. of Rotherham."


"GILDINGWELLS, in the township of Woodsetts with Gildingwells, and parish of South Anston, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles NW. of Worksop (Nott.) 9½ from Bawtry, 12 from Rotherham. Pop. included in Woodsets."


"NORTH ANSTON, in the parish of South Anston, liberties of St. Peter and Tickhill; 6 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 8 from Rotherham, 9 from Tickhill. Pop. included in South Anston."


"WALLINGWELLS, (the seat of Sir Thomas White, Bart.) in the township of Woodsetts with Gildingwells and parish of South Anston, 5 miles from Tickhill.

This House is somewhat remarkable for standing on the line of contact between Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, a small brook or rivulet, which runs under a part of the out buildings, forming the boundary between the two counties.

In the Park was a Priory of Nuns, called St. Mary in the Park, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, founded by Ralph de Cheurolcourt. --Dugdale."


"WOODSETTS, in the parish of South Anston, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of St. Peter; 4½ miles NW. of Worksop, (Notts.) 6½ from Tickhill, 9½ from Rotherham. Pop. including Gildingwells, 218, which being united, form a township."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]