[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOUTH STAINLEY, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 2¾ miles from Ripley, 5 from Ripon, 7 from Knaresborough, 25 from York. Pop. including Cayton, 232, which being united form a township. The Church (see Churches for photograph) is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, p.r. !£61. Patrons, Horner Reynard, Esq. and the Heirs of the late Mrs. Gibson."
"CAYTON, 3 or 4 farm-houses (Cayton Hall, the, seat of Mrs. Messenger,) in the township of South Stainley with Cayton, and parish of South Stainley; 5 miles from Ripon. Pop. included in South Stainley."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for South Stainley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of South Stainley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Stainley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE307632 (Lat/Lon: 54.063835, -1.532439), South Stainley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.