The Ancient Parish of SPROTBROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SPROTBROUGH, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (the seat of Sir Joseph Copley, Bart.) 3½ miles SW. of Doncaster, 12 from Barnsley, 39 from York. Pop. 318. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £44. 18s. 9d. Patron, Sir Joseph Copley, Bart." (There is further information for Sprotbrough).
"BRANDFIELD HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Sprotbrough; 3½ miles from Doncaster, 11½ from Barnsley."
"CADEBY, in the parish of Sprotbrough, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill, 4½ miles SW. of Doncaster, 8½ from Rotherham. Pop. 169."
"CUSWORTH, a hamlet in the township and parish of Sprotbrough, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill, (the seat of William Wrightson, Esq.); 2 miles W. of Doncaster."
"NEWTON, in the township and parish of Sprotbrough, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 1½ miles W. of Doncaster, 11 from Rotherham."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Sprotborough.
- The Methodist Church, Sprotborough.
- The Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark and St. Hubert, Cusworth.
- St. Edmund's Church, Richmond Hill.
- The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Cadeby.
- Transcript of the entry for Sprotbrough in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sprotbrough.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sprotbrough to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE540020 (Lat/Lon: 53.511917, -1.187177), Sprotbrough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Churchyard at Sprotbrough.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.