STAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"STAINTON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL. West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.W. from Doncaster, containing, with the township of Hellaby, 218 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 15., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Scarborough. The church is dedicated to St. Winifred."
"HELLABY, a township in the parish of STAINTON, southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E. from Rotherham. The population is returned with the parish."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]