STAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"STAINTON, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Tickhill. Rotherham is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near the Roman way to Castleford. The parish includes the hamlet of Hellaby. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £323, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Winifred, is an ancient edifice with a tower and three bells. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum."
"HELLABY, a hamlet in the parish of Stainton, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles E. of Rotherham. Here is situated the ancient mansion of Hellaby Hall, now a farmhouse."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013