[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STAVELEY, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3 miles SW. of Boroughbridge, 4 from Knaresborough, 7 from Ripon, 20 from York. Pop. 331. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, £8. 17s. 7d. Patron, the Rev. James Hartley, the present Rector."
"LOFTHOUSE HILL, (the seat of Charles Slingsby, Esq.) in the township and parish of Staveley, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles from Knaresborough, 4 from Boroughbridge."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Staveley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Staveley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE365628 (Lat/Lon: 54.059863, -1.443875), Staveley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial the churchyard at Staveley.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.