[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SWILLINGTON, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; (Swillington Hall, the seat of John Lowther, Esq.) 6 miles E. of Leeds, 8 from Pontefract and Wakefield, 20 from York. Pop. 510. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to Saint Mary, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £16. 1s. 8d. Patron, John Lowther, Esq.
In this Church, which is a uniform and decent structure, of rather late Gothic architecture, are a number of monumental inscriptions to the Lowthers, a family that has long been its Patron. Here are four Alms Houses, founded by Sir William Lowther in 1728."
"ASTLEY, in the township and parish of Swillington, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles SE. Leeds, 8 from Wakefield and Pontefract."
"LEVENTHORPE HALL, (the seat of Thomas Ikin, Esq.) in the township and parish of Swillington; 6 miles from Leeds, 7 from Wakefield."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Swillington. (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Methodist Church, Swillington. (Church Lane) This has been demolished Aug 2004 and will soon be semis! (semi-detached houses).
- The former Roman Catholic Church, Swillington. (Astley Lane) Now defunct and the building and land for sale with house building permission Nov 2004.
- Transcript of the entry for Swillington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Swillington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swillington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE383303 (Lat/Lon: 53.767645, -1.420434), Swillington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I memorial in the churchyard at Swillington.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE380318) Hollinthorpe
- (SE384325) Swillington Common
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.