Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1750.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"TADCASTER, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 9 m. from York, 142 cm. 182 mm. from London, is well provided for travellers, it being situate near the meeting of the road from Chester, and that from Cambridge to York, and gave title of Visc. to the E. of Thomond. In the civil wars it was seized by captain Hotham for the Pt. but abandoned on the approach of a superior force under the E. of Newcastle. Dr. Oglethorp, Bp. of Carlisle, who crowned Q. Eliz. but was afterwards deprived of his Bpk. for adhering nevertheless to popery, founded and endowed a hos. and a fr. sc. here, which he called the sc. and hos. of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. The hos. he endowed with a revenue for 12 poor people, to have each 1 s. a week. Great plenty of lime-stones is dug up here, which are reckoned very good and strong, and are conveyed to York and all the country round for building. Many coins of Roman emperors have been dug up here, and quite round the T. there are the marks of a trench, besides the platform of an old castle; out of the ruins whereof a fine stone bridge was built, 140 years ago, over the r. Wherf, which not far from it glides into the Ouse. There was heretofore a wooden bridge, the remains of which are yet to be seen; but when that was broke down, and the Wherf was not fordable, the passage was turned by Wetherby, The Mt. here is Th."
"HAZLEWOOD, in the parish of Tadcaster, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the N. W. side of Aberforth, the ancient inheritance of the family of the Vavasors, has a pleasant prospect of the cathedrals of York and Lincoln, though 60 m. asunder, and a remarkable quarry, called Peter's- Pit, because St. Peter's cathedral at York was built with the stones dug out of it. It is said that Dr. Tunstall Bp. of Durham affirmed to K. Hen. VIII. when he made his progress to York, that the country 10 m. round this place was the richest valley that ever he found in all his travels through Europe, there being 165 manor-houses, 275 woods, some of which contained 500 acres, 32 parks, and 2 chaces for deer, 7 navigable rivers, &c. and within these limits as much sport for hunting, hawking, fishing, and fowling, as in any part of England."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]