The Ancient Parish of TANKERSLEY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"TANKERSLEY, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles S. of Barnsley, 6½ from Rotherham, 7 from Penistone, 43 from York. Pop. 625. The Church, is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £26. 0s. 2½d. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Here is a photograph of the main Sheffield to Barnsley road, Birdwell.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tankersley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK347996 (Lat/Lon: 53.49197, -1.478459), Tankersley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Memorial Stones in the Gate at St. Leonard's Church, Wortley.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SK341993) Upper Tankersley
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.