Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: TANKERSLEY.     Church dedication: SAINT PETER.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 8,050 acres. Staincross wapentake. - Population, 1,596 *1; Church-room, 500 *2 ; Net value, £474. -This Church is an ancient Rectory of two medieties, belonging to the Tankersleys, from them to the Tyases, Elands, Knights, and Savilles ; afterwards consolidated.

Earl Fitzwilliam is the present patron.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £26. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £26. 0s. 2d., after deducting for Synodals 5s., and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 402, at £95 per annum.

" The Rector is only entitled to a modus of £1. 6s. 8d: yearly at Easter, in lieu of the tithes of the lands called the Park, on the south side of Pulley Brook ; to one shilling a year at Lammas, in lieu of the tithes of the demesne lands of the manor of Wortley ; and to two shillings yearly at Lammas, in lieu of the tithes of corn and grain ground at Wortley mill ; but he is entitled to the tithes of the two closes taken out of Hermit Hall and of Ethersley Spring Wood in kind." -Goodwin v. Wortley, 2 Wood, page 331.

For the monuments, inscriptions, and list of Rectors, see Hunter's SouthYork-shire, vol. ii. page 299 ; and for arms, &c., see Bodleian MS., No. 5,101.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1598. The entries of burials from 1678 to 1771 are mutilated and scorched by fire.

Parochial Charities. -No return *3.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1077. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 273. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Nonae Roll, page 224. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 299.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Tankersley, 678; and Wortley, 918. 56 men are employed in iron, stone and coal mines.

*2 In 1818, estimated at 600.

*3 The Charity Commissioners have entered Tankersley in their index, but without reference to any page, and the author has not discovered any return.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.