The Ancient Parish of THORNER
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNER, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles from Tadcaster and Wetherby, 8 NE. of Leeds, 16 from York. Pop. 708. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£8. 3s. 4d. p.r. £147. 10s. Patron, the King."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Peter's Church, Thorner (view 1).
- St. Peter's Church, Thorner (view 2).
- The Methodist Church, Thorner.
- St. Paul's Church, Shadwell.
- The Methodist Church, Shadwell.
- The former Methodist Church, Thorner, founded 1878, closed 1985 (now flats called Kirklands).
- The Sinai Synagogue, Moor Allerton.
- The United Hebrew Congregation Synagogue, Moor Allerton.
- The following churches have their own websites: http://www.leedsnemethodist.org.uk/Thorner.htm
- Transcript of the entry for Thorner in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thorner.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thorner to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE379405 (Lat/Lon: 53.859346, -1.42525), Thorner which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Please note that there is detailed information about the people whose names appear on the WWI memorial at Shadwell in a publication by the Shadwell Local History Society.
- The World War II Memorial Plaque in St. Peter's Church, Thorner.
- The World War I memorial in the churchyard at Shadwell.
- The World War I and II memorial in the churchyard at Thorner.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE358405) Beech Grove
- (SE364403) Eltofts
- (SE392407) Kellfield Grange
- (SE389412) Norwood House
- (SE396408) Nova Scotia
- (SE373413) Scarcroft Hill
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.