Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: THORNER. Church dedication: ST. PETER. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 4,380 acres. Skirack wapentake, L. D. -Population, 1,220 *1; Church-room, 480; Net value, £143. -The Church anciently belonged to the patronage of the Earls of Lincoln, and from them devolved to the Dukes of Lancaster, until it was appropriated to the Priory of Knaresborough.
Augmented, in 1732, with £200, and £200, to meet benefactions of tithes worth £200 and upwards from Lady Elizabeth Hastings, and £200 from the said Lady Elizabeth Hastings.
Dr. Ducarel does not notice any Ordination, but Mr. Torre gives the particulars of one made, 4th May, A.D. 1444, T. C. y. 241, A. C. y. 89, and also a reference to another, dated ult. July, 1456, A. P. y. 233. It is also said this Vicarage had lately had an hundred pounds left to it, the annual interest of which is to be paid to the Vicar or Minister, and twenty acres of common land given to it to be inclosed for the perpetual use and benefit of the Minister.
Patron, the Lord Chancellor ; impropriator, the Earl of Mexborough.
No Vicar was instituted from the time of Queen Mary until the year 1777.
23rd June 1662, the Crown granted a lease of part of the Rectory of Thorner to William Butler for twenty-one years, on paying yearly to the Vicar of Thorner a salary or stipend of £8, being the payment formerly made by the Priory. Vid. particulars of leases in the Augmentation Office, Yorkshire, Roll 44, No. 3.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £16; and, in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £8. 3s. 4d. per annum. See also Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 323, where it is stated, " Vicarage, £10, including £8 paid by the impropriator."
There were Inclosure Acts passed in the 17th Geo. III. and 43rd Geo. III. (Shadwell.)
There is no glebe house.
Torre gives a close catalogue of the Vicars, which is only brought down to 1556.
The Register Books commence in 1622, but are very defective till 1653. There is a chasm for 1654.
School, founded by deed, dated 13th January 1787. Six free scholars ; endowment, twelve acres, held by lease, on an inadequate rent, which expires 2nd February 1837.
Poor's Estate. A house, garth, and about nine acres of land, given by one Matthew Dodgson.
Matthew Blackburne's dole, given in 1706. 12s. per annum.
Cryer's dole. Interest of £10, in the hands of the representatives of John Pawson, deceased, given in beef or coals.
Lady Betty Hastings's charity. 40s. per annum for sacramental bread and wine.
Scarcroft dole. 14s. 6d. per annum to the poor of that township. -Vide 17th Report, page 742.
Post town: Aberford.
Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 95. Torre's MS., page 187.
*1 Viz.: Scarcroft, 168 ; Shadwell, 248; Thorner, 804.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.