Hide

THORNER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"THORNER, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Scarcroft, Shadwell, and Thorner, and containing 1010 inhabitants, of which number, 708 are in the township of Thorner, 6 miles S.W. from Wetherby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. 3. 4., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school was erected by subscription in 1787, and endowed with twelve acres of land from the waste, the annual income arising from which, being £15. 10., is applied to the instruction of six children. There is a fine spring of water, called St. Sykes' Well, in the neighbourhood."


"SCARCROFT, a township in the parish of THORNER, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.W. from Wetherby, containing 105 inhabitants."


"SHADWELL, a township in the parish of THORNER, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Leeds, containing 197 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]