THORNER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THORNER, a parish and township in the lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Leeds, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Tadcaster road, and consists of one long street. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in cotton spinning, for which there is an extensive mill. The parish includes the townships of Scarcroft and Shadwell. The substratum abounds with limestone, flagstone, and slates, all of which are extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £143. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a tower and three bells. It was enlarged in 1855. The register dates from 1650. There is also a district church at Shadwell, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £78. The parochial charities produce about £43 per annum, of which £16 go to a school. There are a National school, free school, and Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. In the parish is a spring of water called Sykes's Well."
"SCARCROFT, a township in the parish of Thorner, lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Leeds, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Wetherby. The village, which is situated on the new road to Wetherby, is of small extent, and wholly agricultural. The soil is of various qualities, with a subsoil of gravel. In the neighbourhood are many residences occupied by the gentry and merchants of Leeds. Sir E. Vavasour, Bart., is lord of the manor. The Romans are said to have had works here for the smelting of iron ore."
"SHADWELL, a township in the parish of Thorner, lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Leeds, its post town, and 4 from Harewood. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. There are brick and tile kilns in the vicinity. The township includes a portion of Winn Moor, which was enclosed in 1805, and has been greatly improved. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £92, in the patronage of the Vicar of Thorner. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was built in 1842, and has some stained windows and a carved stone font. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Church Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The trustees oft Lady Hastings and William Nicholson Nicholson, Esq., are lords of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013