Thornton In Lonsdale
The Ancient Parish of THORNTON IN LONSDALE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON IN LONSDALE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 1 mile W. of Ingleton, 6 from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 11 from Settle, 68 from York. Pop. 535. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Oswald, in the deanry of Kirby Lonsdale, value, £28. 13s. 1d. p.r. !£79. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester.
Near this village is a tremendous cliff, called Thornton Scar, partly clothed with wood and partly exhibiting the bare rock. This scar is about 100 yards high, and runs up a considerable way, varying its elevation, into the mountains; along with one, not quite so perpendicular, on the other side: these unite so closely at the bottom, that the frightful chasm scarcely leaves room for the hurrying brook to escape; by a precipitate flight over a succession of small cascades. At a short distance hence, is Thornton Fors, a fine cascade, which rushes from an aperture in a high rock, and falls at one leap nearly thirty yards, partly from the top of a rocky ledge, over half of which it falls in one unbroken sheet of four yards wide, and then tumbles over a bulging rock into a deep black pool below. The tops and sides of the rocks are beautifully fringed with ivy and other shrubs; they are a few yards higher than the cascade; and the whole, viewed from the basin below, forms an exceedingly fine picture."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- The Ingleborough Archaeology website has images of the Census Enumerators books for Thornton in Lonsdale and Burton in Lonsdale from 1841 to 1901.
- Transcript of the entry for Thornton in Lonsdale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The Ingleborough Archaeology website has transcriptions of the Parish Registers for:
- Thornton in Lonsdale Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1607 to 1812.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thornton in Lonsdale.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Chapelry of Burton in Lonsdale.
- Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and photographs of Great Whernside.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton In Lonsdale to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD684735 (Lat/Lon: 54.156334, -2.485377), Thornton In Lonsdale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial near the Church, Burton in Lonsdale.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SD803699) Foredale
- (SD670737) Lower Westhouse
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.