Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THORNTON IN LONSDALE.     Church dedication: ST. OSWALD.     Church type: Augmented discharged Vicarage.

Area, 8,860 acres. Ewcross wapentake. - Population, 1,152 *1; Church-room, 400; Net value, £99.

Appropriated to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, who are the patrons.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1576.

Charities:
Ralph Redmayne's gift, by will, dated 3rd February 1702. Rent of twenty-one acres of land, and a house; £50 per annum is paid to the poor. The residue of the rents are paid to a schoolmaster, who teaches all the children of the parish who are sent, reading and writing.

Poor's money. 12s. 6d. per annum out of the poor's rate. -Vide 13th Report, page 665.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1735. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Torentun), pages 10, &c. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 351.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Black Burton, 711; Thornton, 441.


Other information:
BURTON IN LONSDALE. -PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. -(Augmented perpetual Curacy.) -Area, 1,380 acres. Ewcross wapentake. -Population, 711 ; Church-room, 300; Net value. £94.

Patrons, Dean and Chapter of Worcester.

No glebe house.

Registers. -No return.

Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 353.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.