"THORNTON IN LONSDALE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, west riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Black-Burton, and the township of Thornton, and containing 1281 inhabitants, of which number, 535 are in the township of Thornton, 11 miles N.W. from Settle. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £28. 13. l., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. The manufacture of cotton is carried on to a limited extent. One of the sources ot the river Greta, which bounds the parish to the south and south-east, is in the valley of Kingsdale, the stream flowing through most romantic scenery, and forming several beautiful cascades in its descent. The celebrated Yorda's cave is at the northern extremity of the vale. Ralph Redmayne, Esq., in 1702, founded a free school, and endowed it with £200, which, having been vested in land, produces annually £50, for teaching all the poor children of the parish, in a school-room built by subscription."
"BLACK BURTON, a chapelry in the parish of THORNTON in LONSDALE, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.E. from Kirkby Lonsdale, containing 746 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £2100 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Thornton."