[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORPE SALVIN, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Worksop, (Notts) 9 from Rotherham, 13 from Bawtry, 55 from York. Pop. 199. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, !£53. Patron, the Duke of Leeds.
The Church of Thorpe Salvin is remarkable for its handsome Saxon Doorway. In the interior is a very curious stone Font, upon which are cut in alto relievo, in compartments, the following figures, representing the seasons of the year. Winter is figured by an old man warming himself before a fire in a chimney; Spring, by one riding out a hawking; Summer by a man reaping corn and bundling it up into sheaves; and Autumn, by a husbandman sowing seed. The other compartments exhibit the ceremony of Baptism with the parents and sponsors. See a particular account of this Font, with plate, in Archaeolgia. Vol. xii. p.207 and 309."
- The Thorpe Salvin Overseer's Census returns for 1831.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Peter's Church, Thorpe Salvin.
- A list of Thorpe Salvin Ministers and Curates to 1925.
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Baptism Registers for Thorpe Salvin Parish:
- The Marriage Registers for Thorpe Salvin Parish:
- The Burial Registers for Thorpe Salvin Parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thorpe Salvin.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thorpe Salvin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK522810 (Lat/Lon: 53.323357, -1.217787), Thorpe Salvin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the Inscription on the grave in the Chancel of St. Peter's Church.
- A short account of a skirmish during the civil war on Thorpe Moor.
- A list of Apprentice Indentures, 1803 to 1814. Seven out of the nine listed are female.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.