Hide

THORPE SALVIN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"THORPE SALVIN, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Worksop, containing 199 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Chancellor of the Cathedral Church of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Duke of Leeds. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a remarkably fine Norman arch. There in a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]