THURNSCOE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THURNSCOE, a parish in the N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 7½ miles N.W. of Doncaster, its post town, and 2½ from the Darfield station on the North Midland railway. The soil is clay and loam, with a subsoil of sandstone shale. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £341. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, which go to the support of an almshouse. There is a school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Rev. T. W. Simpson is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013