TICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"TICKHILL, a small market-town, in the parish of its name, and in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, west riding, is 156 miles from London, 7 from Doncaster, and 4 from Bawtry. The town is seated on the borders of Nottinghamshire, and the streets composing it are disposed nearly in the form of a cross, by the roads from Worksop, to Doncaster, and from Bawtry to Rotherham. This town was formerly highly noted for its malting business, and it is still the principal trade of the place. There is also a respectable manufactory for paper, belonging to Mr. George Wilkinson. The only object here, calculated to excite interest with the curious traveller, is the castle, the ruins of which are still sufficient to convey an idea of its once great strength and magnitude. The edifice was founded by Roger de Busli, one of the Conqueror's followers, and in 1646 it was dismantled by order of the parliament. Lord Scarborough is lessee of the manor, under the crown, and holds courts leet and baron twice in the year. The places of worship here are the parish church, and a chapel each for the Calvinists and Methodists. There are also alms-houses for fourteen poor widows, and a free school. The market day is Friday, but it is now almost disused. The population, according to the returns for 1821, was 1,830."
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007