TICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"TICKHILL, (or TICKHALL) a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 2 m. from Roch-Abby, 5 m. from Doncaster, 120 cm. 149 mm. from London, is an ancient T. that gives name to an honor, of a very extensive jurisdiction, and to which a great many manors owe suit and service. This honor being vested in the crown since Hen. IV. has been leased out to the subjects, and was in the hands of Sir Tho. Sanderson, brother to the E. of Scarborough. Here is a mount, called by Campden Moles Edita, on which was once a castle, with a mon. Here is a Mt. on S. a school and a sort of hos."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]