TREETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"TREETON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Brampton en le Morthen, Treeton, and the greater portion of Ulley, and containing, with the whole of the township of Ulley, which is partly in the parish of Aston, 703 inhabitants, of which number, 364 are in the township of Treeton, 4 miles S.E. from Rotherham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 12, and in the patronage of the Duke of Norfolk. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. A cottage near the churchyard has long been occupied, rent-free, by a schoolmistress, for teaching eight poor children."
"BRAMPTON EN LE MORTHEN, a township in the parish of TREETON, southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.S.E. from Rotherham, containing 136 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]