TREETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"TREETON, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 3½ miles S.E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 2 N. of Woodhouse railway station. It is a station on the North Midland railway. The parish, which is bounded on the W. by the river Rother, includes the townships of Brampton, Treeton, and Ulley. There are stone quarries, and an extensive flour mill mentioned in the Domesday survey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £674. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, contains many monuments and brasses. The register dates from 1677. There is also the district church of Ulley, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £50. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor."
"BRAMPTON EN LE MORTHEN, a township in the parish of Treeton, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Rotherham."
"ULLEY, a township in the parishes of Treeton and Aston, S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Rotherham, and 3 N.E. of Woodhouse railway station. To the S. is Turnshaw Quarry. The Old Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £50. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There are National schools for both sexes. Sir C. Wood is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013