The Ancient Parish of ULLESKELF
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ULLESKELF, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of St. Peter; (the seat of John Shilleto, Esq.) 2 miles SE. of Tadcaster, 9 from Selby, 14 from Pontefract. Pop. 426. The Church is a vicarage (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £34. 11s. 9d. Patron, the Prebendary thereof."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ulleskelf to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE519399 (Lat/Lon: 53.852746, -1.212514), Ulleskelf which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Church-yard at Ulleskelf.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE518402) West End
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.