The Ancient Parish of WADWORTH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WADWORTH, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (the seat of Sir George Scovell, Bart.) 3 miles NW. of Tickhill, 4 from Doncaster, 8½ from Rotherham Pop. 614. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£4. 2s. 6d. Patrons, Mrs. Verelst, and Sir Charles Kent, Bart. as heirs of the late Mrs. Wordsworth."
"ALVERLEY GRANGE, (the seat of Bryan William Darwin Cooke, Esq.) in the township and parish of Wadworth, 3 miles from Doncaster, 10 from Rotherham."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Wadworth in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wadworth.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wadworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK569970 (Lat/Lon: 53.466675, -1.144356), Wadworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in St. John's Churchyard, Wadworth.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.