"WADWORTH, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles S. of Doncaster, its post town, and 5 E. of Conisborough. The village is situated on the Balby and Worksop road. The soil is fertile, consisting of sand, clay, and peat, with a subsoil of clay and limestone. The surface is undulating and well wooded. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £110. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains some old monuments, and an effigy to Sir E. Fitzwilliam, bearing date 1467. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There are a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Wadworth Hall and Alverley Hall are the principal residences. G. S. Foljambe, Esq., is lord of the manor."