Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ALVERTHORPE. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Agbrigg wa- pentake, L.D. -Population, 2,429, vide Wakefield *1; Chapel-room, 1,590 *2; Net value, £72.
Patron, the Rev. Samuel Sharp, now Vicar of Wakefield, and after his incumbency the Lord Chancellor.
Impropriators, Sir John Ramsden and others.
Built under the Parliamentary grant. Architecture Gothic, with tower. First stone laid 12th March 1823. Cost, £7,828. 16s. 8d. A District has been assigned under 59th Geo. III. cap. 134, sec. 16. -Vide 6th Report, page 3.
Augmented in 1826 with £1,800 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
No return as to registers or glebe.
John Forster's charity, by will, 1670. Rent of three cottages, &c. to the poor.
Richard Taylor's charity, by will, 1686. Rent of 22a. 2r. 3p. for putting out apprentices and for the poor. -Vide 17th Report, page 708.
Post town: Wakefield.
*1 As returned in 1834. In 1830, returned with Thornes at 4,859.
*2 Of which 832 arc free sittings. -Vide Parliamentary return. In 1831, only 1450 returned.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.