Hide

HORBURY: Horbury Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

HORBURY.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

The chapel in Northgate, Horbury, was purchased in 1838 from the New Connexion Methodists. Mr. Kilner laboured there for some time after its first erection.

The following is the list of the ministers:-

  • 1845. Rev. J. P. LAZARUS. Mr. L. had a claim on the chapel property, which occasioned much uneasiness. By the exertions of the West Riding Home Missionary Society and the liberality of some of its constituents, the building was redeemed. After painful occurrences, Mr. Lazarus left Horbury in 1847.
  • 1847. Rev. H. BAKE.
  • Rev. -- DEAR.
  • Rev. J. BUCKLEY (Airedale Coll.). He removed to Stockport, 1854.
  • 1854. Rev. VALENTINE WARD (New Coll.). Mr. W. left for Canterbury, 1861.
  • 1861. Rev. G. GLADSTONE. He resigned in 1862, and is now at Leiston.
  • 1863. Rev. J. DIXON, the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Rev. J. Dixon.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.