Hide

WAKEFIELD: Wakefield-Salem Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

WAKEFIELD-SALEM CHAPEL.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

This congregation arose out of a secession from Zion Chapel in 1799. The chapel was opened Boo.

The ministers have been-

  • 1801. Rev. B. RAYSON. Mr. R. removed to Tonbridge Chapel, London, in 1817.
  • 1820. Rev. JOHN JEFFERSON (Rotherham Coll.). Mr. J. was a man of great piety and earnestness. He was, during some years, secretary to the West Riding Home Missionary Society, which was formed in his chapel.
  • 1823. Rev. R. COPE, LLD. (Hoxton Acy.), from Launceston. Dr. Cope removed to Manchester in 1829.
  • 1829. Rev. J. KELLY, from Ringwood. He afterwards became a minister in the Church of England.
  • 1842. Rev. WILLIAM LAMB. Changes in Mr. L.'s religious views induced him to leave the chapel in 1848, and to carry on his ministry in a public room. The bulk of his congregation accompanied him.
  • 1850. Rev. WILLIAM CREED (Airedale Coll.). Mr. C. afterwards settled at West Bromwich.
  • 1852. Rev. J. S. EASTMEAD. Mr. E. is the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Rev. J. S. Eastmead.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.