WARMFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WARMFIELD, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Sharlston, and Warmfield with Heath, and containing 1071 inhabitants, of which number, 741 are in the township of Warmfield with Heath, 3 miles E. from Wakefield. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5.4. 2., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Dame Mary Bowles, in 1660, conveyed to trustees a building, to be used as a school-house; and a rent-charge of £20, for educating and apprenticing ten poor children. John Smyth, Esq., in 1729, left three houses and an annuity of £4, for educating six children."
"HEATH, a township, joint with Warmfield, in the parish of WARMFIELD, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Wakefield. The population is returned with the township of Warmfield."
"SHARLSTON, a township in the parish of WARMFIELD, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Wakefield, containing 330 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]