Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"WATH UPON DEARNE, is a township, in the parish of its name, in the northern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding, 11 miles n.e. from Sheffield, 5.5 n. from Rotherham, and 8 s.e. from Barnsley ; pleasantly situate close to the Dearne and Dove canal, in a part of the country abounding with delightful prospects, and ornamented with many elegant seats and mansions. Amongst these, which more immediately distinguish the village, may be noticed Cross house, lately erected by William Carr, Esq. on the site of the Cross, which formerly stood in the centre of the village ; and New Hill hall, the residence of John Payne, Esq. commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. Wath itself has not much to boast as a place of manufactures or trade ; but in some parts of the parish are extensive potteries, furnaces and collieries. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an edifice of some antiquity : the living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the dean and canons of Christ church, Oxford ; the present incumbent is the Rev. Henry Partington. The parish contained, in 1831, 6,927 inhabitants, and the township 1,149 of that number."

"BRAMPTON BIERLOW, is a township, in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, 6 miles n. by w. from Rotherham ; containing extensive collieries and iron works, the property of the Earl Fitzwilliam. Here is a free school, originally endowed by George Ellis, in 1711, and now conducted upon the national plan. The township contained, at the last census, 1,462 inhabitants. Nether Hoyland is a chapelry, in the same parish as Brampton, 9 miles n. from Sheffield, on the road leading to Barnsley, from which it is distant about 5 miles south. The church here is a modern structure : the patronage of the living is enjoyed by the Hon. Edmund Phipps. Population of the township, at the census taken in 1831, 1,670."

"SWINTON, is a chapelry, in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, one mile and a half from Wath. The manufacture of earthenware is carried on in the chapelry to a considerable extent ; amongst these establishments, are the ' Rockingham Works,' belonging to the Messrs. Brameld and Co. celebrated for excelling in the manufacture of British china, and patronized by their present Majesties, and other members of the Royal Family : these extensive and highly interesting works furnish employment to upwards of three hundred persons. The church, which is pleasantly situate on an eminence, is dedicated to St. Mary, and was erected chiefly at the expense of Earl Fitzwilliam, who is patron of the living, which is a perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Lowe, jun. The chapelry contained, in 1831, 1,252 inhabitants."

"WENTWORTH, is a village and chapelry, in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the same wapentake as Ecclesfield, about three miles and a half north from that village. It is a place unimportant as regards trade, but derives some consequence from being in the immediate vicinity of Wentworth House and Park, the splendid seat of the Earl Fitzwilliam, a great patron of the village, and the support of several charitable institutions. The church, or rather chapel which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, presents nothing remarkable in its appearance. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the nobleman before mentioned: the present curate is the Rev. John Lowe. The population of the chapelry in 1831, was 1,394."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]