Many of the persecuted Nonconformists enjoyed, after 1662, a hospitable asylum in the house of Sir E. Rodes, Great Houghton, four miles from West Melton; but at some time subsequent not a single Dissenter was to he found in the neighbourhood.
The Rev. -- Entwistle, of Barnsley began to preach occasionally at Wombwell, and afterwards at West Melton. About 1790, a more vigorous attempt was made to form a congregation. Rev. Thos. Grove, of Masborough, preached in the open air to large assemblies, sometimes with great opposition, but, on the whole, with encouraging success. By these means several persons were added to his church. Some Baptist itinerants seconded these exertions.
About this time Mr. Carnley, a pious inhabitant of London, whose parents resided in this neighbourhood, was induced, by a desire for usefulness, to settle as an agriculturist in this vicinity. Having united himself to Mr Grove's church, Rotherham, he promoted all measures which might tend to the evangelization of West Melton. Students were regularly sent to it from Rotherham Academy, then under the presidency of Dr. Williams; and when a chapel was reared, fourteen or fifteen members were transferred from Masborough to form a church. In the year 802, Mr. Arundel was invited to settle as minister, but refused.
- 1804. Rev. WILLIAM MOORHOUSE (Rotherham Acy.), son of Mr. Moorhouse, Huddersfield, became pastor of the church, and held the pastorate thirty-three years. He preached also at Wombwell and Stubbin, and occasionally at Great Houghton and Swinton. He conducted a school at Wath, afterwards at Brampton, and educated some useful and eminent men. He published (1809) "A candid examination of Dr. William's Essay on Equity and Sovereignty."
- 1838. Rev. MARK DOCKER (Hackney Acy.), from Broadway, Worcestershire. He took the double pastorate of Melton and Swinton, which he retained for eight years, retiring from the ministry at the close of 1846. He then became chaplain to the Sheffield Cemetery, and died Feb. 14, 1853.
- 1849. Rev. THOMAS GALLSWORTHY (Airedale Coll.), from Pinchbeck. He resigned March, 1853.
- 1855. Rev. JOSEPH BOYD, the present minister (in 1868).
- In 1862 the chapel was repaired and beautified, at a cost of about £450. There is a good school-room attached to it; also a burial-ground and minister's house.
* Aided by Rev. J. Boyd.