[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WESTON, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; (Weston Hall, the seat of William Vavasour, Esq.) 2 miles NW. of Otley, 12 from Leeds, 5 from Knaresborough, 30 from York. Pop. 108. The Church (see Churches for photograph) is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£6. 11s. 5½d. p.r. £57. 6s. 8d. Patron, the King."
"ASKWITH, in the parish of Weston, upper division of Claro; 3 miles NW. of Otley, 13 from Leeds and Skipton. Pop. 367."
"DOB PARK, a farm-house in the township of Askwith, and parish of Weston, 5 miles N. of Otley, 12 from Knaresborough."
"GRASSGARTH, a hamlet in the township and parish of Weston, 2½ miles from Otley. 12½ from Leeds."
"LANE HEAD, or Lane Houses, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township and parish of Weston, 3 miles from Otley."
"SCALES, a farm-house in the township of Askwith, and parish of Weston, 5 miles NW. of Otley, 12 from Knaresborough."
"SNOWDEN, (Upper and Lower,) scattered houses in the parish of Weston, and wapentake of Claro; 5 miles N. of Otley."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Weston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Weston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE179470 (Lat/Lon: 53.918837, -1.728948), Weston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.