WHISTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WHISTON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Rotherham, containing 859 inhabitants. The living is a recr. tory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of Lord Howard of Effingham. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Mer thodists. Francis Mansel, in 1728, bequeathed a rentcharge of £6 for teaching twelve children; Mr. Shaw, in 1719, left £5 a year for the education of ten;- and Joseph Hammond, in 1794, among other charitable bequests, gave a proportionate sum for the instruction of twelve."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]