Hide

WHISTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WHISTON, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Rotherham, and 5½ E. of Sheffield. The parish includes, besides the township of Whiston, the hamlets of Broom, Canklow, Guilthwaite, Herringthorpe, Moorgate, Morthen, and Upper Whiston. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £868. The church is dedicated to St. James. There are a chapel for Wesleyans and a National school. The parochial charities produce about £32 per annum. Near Moorgate Grove, which forms a suburb of Rotherham, is Oakwood House, the seat of J. Yates, Esq. Sir Reresby Sitwell and the Earl of Effingham, of the Grange, are lords of the manor."


"CANKLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S. of Rotherham."


"GUILTHWAITE, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, West Riding county York, 2' miles S.E. of Rotherham."


"HERRINGTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Rotherham."


"MOORGATE, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Rotherham. It is situated near the line of the North Midland railway."


"MOORHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Rotherham."


"MORTHEN, a hamlet in the parish of Whiston, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Rotherham."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013