Hide

WHITGIFT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WHITGIFT, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Swinefleet, and the townships of Ousefleet, Reedness, and Whitgift, and containing 2202 inhabitants, of which number, 310 are in the township of Whitgift, 6 miles S.E. from Howden. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Swinefleet annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, and in the patronage of N. Yarburgh, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The river Ouse runs through the parish, in which are two endowed schools."


"OUSEFLEET, a township in the parish of WHITGIFT, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.S.E. from Howden, containing 253 inhabitants; it is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith."


"REEDNESS, a township in the parish of WHITGIFT, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.E. from Howden, containing 683 inhabitants. John Wressel, in 1795,' bequeathed a rent-charge of £15, for teaching twelve children of this and the neighbouring townships. Reedness is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith."


"SWINEFLEET, a chapelry in the parish of WHITGIFT, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Howden, containing 956 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Whitoift fo the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]