"WHITKIRK, is a village, in the parish of its name, lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding, four miles east from Leeds, situated on the main road to Selby. It is a place of no particular trade, but the neighbourhood is of a highly respectable character; and about half a mile from the village is Temple Newsam, the beautiful seat of the Marchioness of Hertford. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a very neat edifice, having a fine spire; and in the church is an elegant monument, to the memory of Sir Robert Scargill : it is also the burial place of the Irvin family. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the master and fellows of Trinity college, Cambridge ; the incumbent is the Rev. Charles Musgrave. There is a free school, with a small endowment, for the instruction of boys and girls. About half a mile s.e. is the hamlet of Calton, where there is a considerable colliery, the property of Edward Dawson, Esq. ; and about one mile east, is the hamlet of Halton (in the township of Temple Newsam), where are large chymical works, belonging to Messrs. Joseph Atkinson & Co. The parish of Whitkirk contains no township of its name, but comprises those of Ausethorpe, Seacroft, Temple Newsam, and Thorp Stapleton. The population of the whole, at the last census (taken in the year 1831), was 2,564."