WHITKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1853.
"WHITKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of Skyrack, has 3041 souls, and comprises Austhorpe, Seacroft, Thorpe Stapleton and Temple Newsam townships. Within the Township of Temple Newsam are to be found. The pleasant village of Whitkirk, 4 miles East of Leeds, Colton, Halton, Newsam Green, Osmondthorpe and Templethorpe. The church (St.Mary) is a vicarage valued at £202, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge and incumbency of of the Rev. A. Martineau, M.A. One of the windows has been filled with beautiful stained glass in memory of the late Mrs Waud. The parish school has an endowment of £10 p.a. There is a Methodist Chapel at Colton."
"AUSTHORPE, in the parish of Whitkirk, is a township 4 miles E. by N. of Leeds has 630 acres and 219 souls."
"TEMPLE NEWSAM, in the parish of Whitkirk, is a township has 2699 acres of land and 1693 inhabitants. It includes the village of Whitkirk, noticed above and the following hamlets. Part of it is in the borough of Leeds. Temple Newsam, 4 miles E. by S. of Leeds is the beautiful seat ofH.C.M. Ingram,Esq. And occupies the site of a house of Knights Templars, founded about 1100. It was for some time a seat of the noble families of Lennox, Irwin and Hertford."
"THORPE STAPLETON, in the parish of Whitkirk, 3 miles E.S.E. of Leeds has in its township only 300 acres and 36 inhabitants. The soil belongs to H.C.M. Ingram Esq. The collieries are worked by Kirkby Fenton, Esq., of Thorpe Hall and ironstone is got here for Kirkstall Forge Iron Works. The mineral agents are Thomas Fenton, James Rayner and Thomas Rawling."
[Transcribed from White's History, gazetteer and directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire 1853]