Area, 3,470 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 968 *2; Church-room, 395 ; Net value, £82. -In 1361, this Church was appropriated to the house of St. Robert of Knaresborough, and a Vicarage was ordained 7th April 1376.
Patrons, the governors of Tancred's Charities.
Valued in the King's Books at £7. 16s. lld.
Here was a Chantry founded for the soul of Archbishop Melton.
Inclosure Act 41st Geo. III.
Glebe house fit.
The Register Books commence in 1568.
Charles Lewis's charity, by will, 1640. 38s. per annum.
R. Tebb's, by will, 1643. 108. per annum to the poor of Whixley, and 208. per annum to the poor of Green Hammerton.
Dawson's charity. 10s. per annum out of the estate of Thos. Cass.
Dorothy Sutton's gift, by will, 1784. Interest of £20, to the poor.
Green Hammerton poor's land, 2a. 2r. 25p. rent charge, 10s. per annum out of Mr. Roger Holdsworth's estate. Schoolmaster. The Commissioners state that they had heard a rumour of an annual payment for the instruction of children, but they could not obtain any particular information, or ascertain whether it ever existed as a permanent charity. -Vide 3rd Report, page 504.
Tancred's charity. The commissioners deferred their report on this charity, which was founded in 1754, by Christopher Tancred, Esq., for the maintenance of twelve decayed gentlemen.
Torre's MS., page 1495. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cuselade, Crucheslaga), pages 164. 167. 212. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 366.
*1 Now held as a perpetual Curacy.
*2 Viz. Whixley, 621. Green Hammerton, 330; Thornville, 17.