"WHIXLEY, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, which is partly in the lower division and partly in the upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding, 6.5 miles s.w. from Boroughbridge, and 11 n.e. from York. Here was formerly a seat of the ancient family of Tancred, the last of whom, Christopher Tancred, Esq. bequeathed his house and estate here, in 1754, for the maintenance of twelve decayed gentlemen -- four in each of the three learned professions, who must be 50 years of age, or older, and unmarried. The inmates of this hospital dine together daily, and are not permitted to absent themselves without permission, nor allowed an absence exceeding five days. The living of Whixley is a vicarage, in the gift of the trustees and governors of the above mentioned charity. The Rev. John Husband is the present incumbent. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists. The parish contained by the parliamentary returns for 1831, 968 inhabitants, and the township 621 of that number."
"GREEN HAMMERTON, is a pleasant village and township, in the parish of Whixley, about one mile from that village, situate on the road leading to York and Boroughbridge. Here are a chapel each for independents and methodists. The township contained, at the last census, 330 inhabitants."