Hide

WHIXLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WHIXLEY, a parish comprising the township of Thornville, in the lower division, and the townships of Green-Hammerton and Whixley, in the upper division, of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 809 inhabitants, of which number, 467 are in the township of Whixley, 6 miles S.S.E. from Aldborough. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £7. 17. 1., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Tancred charities. There is a place of worship for- Wesleyan Methodists."


"GREEN HAMMERTON, a township in that part of the parish of WHIXLEY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.S.E. from Aldborough, containing 329 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"THORNVILLE, a township in that part of the parish of WHIXLEY, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Boroughbridge, containing 13 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]