"WHIXLEY, a parish in the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Boroughbridge, 6 N.E. of Wetherby, and 10 N.W. of York. The parish comprises the townships of Whixley, Green Hammerton, and Old Thornville. The surface is undulating, and the land fertile. The soil is loamy on a subsoil of red sand. A hospital was founded here in 1754 for 12 decayed gentlemen, by the late C. Tancred, Esq It was originally the ancient residence of the Tancred family. The principal apartments are the hall, with portraits of the founder and Queen Mary, dining and drawing rooms, a chapel and separate apartments for the inmates. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £70. The register dates from 1568. The Wesleyans have chapels at Whixley and Green Hammerton, and at the latter place also the Wesleyan Reformers and Independents. There are Church of England parochial schools, partially endowed, and National and Sunday schools. The other charities amount to £40."
"GREEN HAMMERTON, a township in the parish of Whixley, upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Wetherby, and 10 W. of York. It is situated on the road to York, near the river Nidd. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in linen weaving. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Wesleyan Reformers."
"THORNVILLE, a township in the parish of Whixley, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 2½ miles S. of Whixley. 7 N.E. of Wetherby, and 5 S.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the bank of the river Nidd, and comprises about 200 acres of fertile land."