The Ancient Parish of WICKERSLEY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WICKERSLEY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles E. of Rotherham, 8 from Tickhill, 9 from Sheffield, 47 from York. Pop. 432. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Alban, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £8. 0s. 2½d. Patrons, Henry Kater, Esq.
This place is famous for a fine bed of Stone, peculiarly adapted for the making of Grindstones, 5000 of which, are annually sent by land carriage to Sheffield. --Miller's History of Doncaster."
"MOAT HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Wickersley; 5 miles ESE. of Rotherham."
- A transcription of the Christian Institute charity information from the 1897 Endowed Charities, W.R. Yorkshire and Sheffield.
- Transcript of the entry for Wickersley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wickersley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wickersley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK479917 (Lat/Lon: 53.419933, -1.280719), Wickersley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Churchyard at Wickersley.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.