WICKERSLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WICKERSLEY, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Rotherham. There are numerous quarries of fine soft gritstone, of which grindstones are made for the supply of the Sheffield manufacturers. Fossils of various kinds are found in the quarries. Mr. Lumley's hounds meet here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Alban, was rebuilt in 1834. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is a National school. The charities produce about £7 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013