[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WOMERSLEY, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Hawke) 5 miles SE. of Pontefract and Ferrybridge, 8 from Snaith, 26 from York. Pop. 316. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Martin, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£6. 11s. 5½d. Patron, The Right Hon. Lord Hawke."
"CRIDLING STUBBS, in the parishes of Womersley and Darrington, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles SE. of Ferrybridge, 4½ from Pontefract. Pop. 96."
"FULHAM HOUSE, a single house in the township and parish of Womersley; liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles ESE. of Pontefract and Snaith."
"HIGH FIELD LANES, a farm-house in the township and parish of Womersley; 5 miles from Pontefract."
"LITTLE SMEATON, in the parish of Womersley, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles from Ferrybridge, 6½ from Pontefract, 10 from Doncaster. Pop. 176."
"WALDEN STUBBS, in the parish of Womersley, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles SE. of Pontefract and Ferrybridge. Pop. 158."
"WOOD HALL, 2 houses in the township and parish of Womersley; 5 miles from Pontefract and Ferrybridge."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Womersley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Womersley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE529191 (Lat/Lon: 53.665713, -1.200869), Womersley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Womersley.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.