WOMERSLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WOMERSLEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cridling-Stubbs, Little Smeaton, Waldeh-Stubbs, and Womersley, and containing 746 inhabitants, of which number, 316,are in the township of Womersley, 5 miles E.S.E. from Pontefract. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6. 11. 5., endowed witli £<200 private benefaction, and £2.00 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Hawke. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a handsome structure with a lofty spire, situated on an eminence in the centre of the parish. The river Went runs through the parish, and is crossed by a bridge; on its southern bank are quarries of a fine freestone, whence a rail-road passes over the stream, runs through the township of Little Smeaton,and meets the new line of navigation made by the Aire and Calder Company: there are also extensive quarries of limestone. A neat building has been recently erected, comprising a dwelling-house for a schoolmaster, and two school-rooms for boys and girls, who are taught on the National system; the site was given by Lord Hawke, and the expense of the building was defrayed by liberal grants from the parent institution in London, and the York Diocesan Society, aided by voluntary contributions. At Walden-Stubbs is an ancient hall, once the seat of a family of the name of Shuttleworth, now oc- cupied as a farm-house." <p>
"CRIDLING STUBBS, a township, in the parish of WOMERSLEY, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Pontefract, containing 96 inhabitants."
"LITTLE SMEATON, a township in the parish of WOMERSLEY, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Pontefract, containing 176 inhabitants. Ann Jackson, in 1675, bequeathed £30 in support of a school for teaching poor children."
"WALDEN STUBBS, a township in the parish of WOMERSLEY, lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.S.E. from Pontefract, containing 158 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]